New Student Checklist
Graduate Student Services (GSS) has developed this checklist for new students who will be matriculating each fall. The first items are required of all students; the remainder are recommendations.
Please contact GSS with any questions or concerns. International students are encouraged to review the extensive information for new students provided by the Office of International Affairs by reading the New International Student Handbook.
- Set up your UC Merced ID/Campus Account.
- Review the Newly Admitted Student Handbook available July 2016.
- Review and complete your Admissions Checklist via My.UCMerced.Edu.
- Register for GROW. Deadline Friday, July 29th at 12pm.
- Review your GROW transportation options.
- Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Graduate students who are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or immigrants are required to complete the FAFSA regardless of financial status or financial need.
- Complete the Statement of Legal Residence Petition. Deadline June 15, 2016.
- Complete the Statement of Intent to Register. Deadline April 15, 2016 (or as specified by your offer letter).
- Sign and return Summary of Financial Support (if applicable).
- Register for Classes. New students will register for classess before arriving for GROW. Please consult with your faculty advisor for questions regarding course registration.
- Understand your campus-based fees and pay your bills by August 17, 2016 deadline or access a $50 late fee.
- Complete the Health Insurance Waiver, if necessary. Deadline August 01, 2016.
- Get your UC Merced ID Card. New students will get ID card during GROW.
- Update your address in your academic record.
- Update your address in your payroll record.
- International Students: Read the New International Student Handbook for information on how to get your Social Security Card and Driver's License.
- Review financial planning information.
- Review your Housing and Transportation options.
- Learn about Graduate Student Health Insurance (GSHIP).
- Learn about UC Merced's Technology Resources.
- Order Textbooks.
- Find Directions to Campus.
- Find out how to get to Merced, CA from the local International Airports.
- Review your Child Care Options.
- Review Local School Information.
- Get involved with the Graduate Student Association (GSA).
- Download a campus map for the first day of GROW.
- Create your own website.
Things to Bring With You:
- Hiring Paperwork and necessary documentation (see I-9 Form in hiring paperwork for acceptable documents).
Please contact Graduate Student Services at 209.228.4621 with any questions or concerns regarding GROW or your transition to graduate study at UC Merced.